Venezuela denounces media campaign to justify international intervention
On the eve of the 73rd session of the General Assembly of the United Nations (UN), which will open on September 18, the Executive Vice President of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, Delcy Rodríguez, denounced on Monday the media campaign that seeks to justify an international intervention against the South American country, under the pretext of “humanitarian crisis”.
During a joint press conference with the Minister of Communication and Information, Jorge Rodríguez, the high official recalled that this matrix has its antecedents in 2015, when former US President Barack Obama issued a decree declaring Venezuela as a ” unusual and extraordinary threat “to the internal security of the North American country.
“Immediately (at the signing of that decree on March 9, 2015), the next day the former Secretary of State John Kerry begins to talk about the humanitarian crisis in Venezuela; this is repeated on October 31 of the same year by the former head of the Southern Command, John Kelly”, she recapitulated in the meeting with the national and international media.
From then on, a group of countries in the region – beginning with the Republic of Colombia – has folded to this matrix against Venezuela, which is currently manifested on the issue of migration.
In this regard, the Executive Vice President reaffirmed that the Bolivarian Republic continues to occupy the second place in South America in terms of reception of migrants and, at the same time, is the second country with the lowest flow of migrants in the region, according to international organizations.
Likewise, she reiterated that Colombia, whose government intends to use Venezuela to continue receiving international financing, shows in its assets to be the first country in the world with the largest number of displaced persons.
Before the matrix of the migratory flow of Venezuelans in the region, which has even unleashed a campaign of discredit and xenophobia, the Government of President Nicolás Maduro has sent this year more than 40 diplomatic notes to countries that make up the so-called Grupo de Lima in request for official figures, with no response received so far, said the Vice President.
In parallel, she reported that concern has been expressed to the General Secretary of the United Nations (UN), Antonio Guterres, in the sense that some officials -in an isolated manner- have distorted the situation.
“We trust in the General Secretary of the UN, we choose him for peace and stability, we trust in the multilateral system and that the public international law is respected (…) Therefore, we will not allow the actions of isolated officials, because it has tried to become a flow normal migration in a humanitarian crisis that justifies international intervention against Venezuela”, she added.
Vice President Rodríguez also affirmed that during the UN General Assembly will be elevated “the truth of Venezuela and the truth of the world.”
The Minister of Communication and Information, for his part, rejected the recent statements of the Colombian Foreign Minister, Carlos Holmes Trujillo, according to which he affirmed that the number of Venezuelan migrants surpasses the Syria’s; “But he does not say anything about the more than 5 million Colombians living in Venezuela”.
He announced, at the same time, the request made by a new group of Venezuelans to the Embassy in Lima, to return to the country from the Republic of Peru.
“The house of cards of the supposed humanitarian crisis is dismantled, the Venezuelans queue at the Embassy of Peru to return to their country,” he said.